UC231 7 students
I am teaching graduate students about efficient literature search techniques. I think we should cover the following:
1. PsycINFO vs. the other databases - which is the best to use and for what purposes?
1a. When to use Google Scholar (sometimes has full-text when the databases do not)
2. Searching multiple databases simultaneously (e.g., PsycINFO, PsycCRITIQES, ERIC, Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection, etc.)
3. Searching with boolean expressions (this is often confusing to them)
4. Limiting the search to peer-reviewed journals, selecting specific journals, selecting specific major headings, etc.)
4a. Limiting the search to dissertations
5. Using MyEBSCOhost folders to store results and retrieve them later
6. Accessing full-text articles and dissertations and eBooks
7. Requesting articles, books, and book chapters that are not available in full-text from ILL
8. Searching specifically for review articles and meta-analyses
9. Using Scopus to search forward and backward citations from a particular article (who/what has cited that article and what articles/authors were cited by it)
I think that’s it. Let me know if anything there is confusing or unclear.